Friday, September 25, 2009

A day in the life of... ME!

Yesterday was really fun, I carried my point-and-shoot camera around with me all day and just took pictures of my surroundings and activities. So here's a day in the life of Kshu, from midnight to midnight on Sept. 24, 2009.

This is my nook, my little study area



Some bedtime reading =P


(the next morning)



The street that our apartment is on. It was such a beautiful day yesterday.


Anyone know what intersection this is? I guess it's kinda hard because you can't really make out any of the landmarks. =P


Waiting at the bus stop for a #1 or CT1 bus but a couple of buses passed us by because of...


... the hordes and hordes of do-gooding Novartis people who just happened to be having their company volunteer day. Except they were hogging every #1 bus stop so the bus drivers got scared and didn't stop to let people on.





Morning snack from the huge sack of apples we still have from apple picking!


Guess which MIT dorm is still undergoing renovations?




The second leg of my daily commute: Symphony to Heath St.



Everyone gets off after Brigham Circle so I have the whole T to myself. Who wants to go through that part of Jamaica Plain anyway?


Ah, the VA Medical Center...





Our offices! So new and shiny after the renovations. :) Someone looked up the cost of our desk chairs and found that they were $800 a piece. There's the VA for ya.



My desk... the "Kashu" is on the back of my Gung-ho sweatshirt which I keep permanently at my lab because our offices are always super cold.


My lab notebook doesn't typically look like this, but I felt the need to be color-coded yesterday.


All the noxious chemicals I work with =P








Mid-morning snack of bagel and honey pecan cream cheese (at my desk, not my lab bench. =P)


My desk buddy Dan!



Yep, I look like this whenever I pipet stuff or use the plate reader... =P



I normally don't like wearing lab safety gear like lab coats or goggles or the giant orange gloves for handling hot things, but I like wearing the blue lab coat and matching blue gloves because they make me feel like a giant blue marshmallow.



Haha padded elevators. I asked my labmate why we have padded elevators and he said, "because they transport animals to the animal research facility in this elevator..." Uh huh... and they let the animals roam free in the elevator???


Lunch of leftover roasted veggie lasagna.


Microtome to section paraffin-embedded samples.


Not sure what happened with this samplel... there was a hole where the sample was supposed to be. :(






I always try to do the hard sodoku first and after 10 minutes I decide it's too hard for me so I switch to the easy one...




Karen fails at the easy sodoku. Don't judge; sodoku is hard. :( I don't know where I went wrong but I was about to write a "3" in the middle box of the middle box.


There's a Red Mango coming to Boston! Right outside the Symphony station! This was probably the best part of my day. Too bad it's not Pinkberry, which is more tart and more yummy than Red Mango. :) It's okay, Boston will still have YO-BERRY! (Buy ten fro-yo, get one free yo!) haha



Can anyone guess where this is? :)


It took me 10 minutes to find this Orzo.





Free TV right outside my door!! (Too bad it wasn't addressed to me... that shouldn't have stopped me though. Hehe j/k)


Mushroom orzo with pearl onions. This was the first time I've cooked with orzo and pearl onions. So yummy!


Stir-fry veggies. Thanks Doris for the red pepper :D


Yesterday I realized that Yang poses for pictures like little kids do. There are some kids who are so well-trained for the camera that once a camera is whipped out, they'll stop what they're doing and stand still and smile for the camera patiently. Yang was probably very well trained for the camera when he was little.


My ultimate world and the rest of my world colliding


Livia before her fame through Science.
Amy a week before her wedding.
Me.
Kkz a month before her thesis is due.


After dinner I go over to Antrim and this is what I see:


... the quintessence of being a boy:


...someone remind me why I keep him around?


...oh yeah, it's because he does things like fold laundry with the utmost concentration:


I'm singing "Amazing Grace" for Amy's wedding next week, along with Kkz and Livia. The three of us are going to sing a verse each and then we're singing the last verse in harmony. I don't know why Amy asked us to sing but whatever, I okay with embarassing myself in front of 300 people.




I ended my day with a friendly game of BOMBERMAN with Keith, a game where you are these adorable little spacelings with cute antenaes, and you try to blow everyone else up using strategically placed bombs. Whee!


Ewwww... don't look if you get grossed out easily.


Oops, I guess I put the warning too close to the picture. Sorry! ;)