Sunday, January 20, 2008

Scrimmage against Brandeis

We played 7s on the indoor track. It was kinda cramped but it worked out. Thankfully no one was injured. sMITe played aggressively and got a lot of run through Ds and it was great to play ultimate against another team. We even got to play a little zone O (YAY!) I love and hate handling in zone O. I feel like it's a lot of pressure but it's really fun too.

We have to work on our defense. I think a lot of sMITe still doesn't know which way to force. It was really really frustrating because most of the time we were getting beat was because the mark was forcing the wrong direction. Maybe saying "step left" or "step right" is too confusing for MIT students. I think in the future we should just say "step away" or "step home".

Smeri had some nice grabs in the endzone. Speaking of, our endzone looks pretty good. People are initiating cuts and clearing hard. It'd be good to see more dump swing... I guess that's where I need to step up :P Also, Stephanie made some really amazing catches. She came to practice for the first time on Wed and she's picking things up really fast. During the scrimmage she always seemed to be in the right place and would catch almost everything.

Everyone seems to be asking about spring tournaments so here's a tentative schedule:
- Southerns (Mar 22-23) - first weekend of spring break
- Easterns (Mar 29-30) - second weekend of spring break
- Yale Cup
- Sectionals (April 19-20)
- Regionals (May 3-4)

Daphne also mentioned something about UMass but I guess we'll see when the time gets closer. I can't wait to start playing outside. I can't believe it's 8 degrees right now. :(