Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Graduated sMITers :(

So I started this post in May after Nationals because I realized how many great players sMITe is losing this year and I had to blog about SOMETHING now that the season was over. I think I stopped because I got kinda emotional while writing. :( Now I feel kinda weird writing this post because it's already September, we're in the middle of orientation, and graduation was three months ago, but hey, writing about these people inspires me to become a better player.

So here's to all who left sMITe after Spring '08:

Catherine - I don't know what I would do without you. Thanks for teaching me how to throw, fake, handle, huck, hammer, dump cut, make smart decisions, basically everything except pulling =P j/k your pulls are amazing now :) You're this 5'2" ball of energy and I'm always inspired by your enthusiasm and ability to keep sMITe upbeat and motivated. I love seeing you excited when we're huddling up and you always remind me that ultimate is fun and we play better when we're having fun. When it seems like everyone has given it their all, you have that extra sprint, that extra push to do what's needed on the field and everyone is convinced that they can run a little bit harder because of your example. You've been a great leader on and off the field (or as Smeri would put it, "In ultimate and in real life") and you'll be sorely missed. Best of luck in London and I'm excited that I'll have a place to crash when I visit :) Too bad you're not going to be around when I perfect my spin-pull :)

Daphne - "But she's so small!" - everyone's reaction when you D someone >6 inches taller than you. We should've put 12'6" for you on the roster because you play so much taller and you inspire others to play taller than they really are. Thanks for introducing me to sMITe and for being a great leader on the team. You're always so cheerful and you have such a great attitude about everything. And I'll forever remember you as our fearless Captain Planet :)


Doris - You're amazing on so many different levels. You're the most reliable deep deep I've ever played with and this position was basically created for you to exemplify your speed and acceleration, boxing out and reading abilities, and laziness. :) You get numerous run through Ds and you have the uncanny ability to get grass stuck in random places (your mouth, your underwear, your nose...) I'm so glad that I still get to play ultimate with you on Hatch. :) And you can huck now! You better come to some sMITe practices so our team can learn how to play good defense. Just don't teach them to throw backhands like you do. :P


Erika - Erika you were a great example to the team, as a defensive all-star and physical fitness coach and strategy consultant. One of my favorite zone plays is always going to be "Erika's Choice" just because it screws with the other team and works so well every time!! Let's just say that I'm really glad that you were on our team. This picture is a typical Erika-being-awesome-and-better-than-everyone-else image:


Jenny - Man were we glad to have you on our team this year :) You do realize that you probably bring up our average height at least three inches, right? One of the most vivid images of you is when there are three people vying for the disc in the air and then you just come out of nowhere to bring the disc down. I am also glad that I still get to play ultimate with you on Hatch.


Coaches Jin and Darlene - Well, Darlene left us already but Jin will still be around for the new version of sMITe! Individually, you guys are great players and coaches but together, you guys are were as hilarious and entertaining as you were great explainers of everything. :) I'll always remember our three goals of the year: efficient offense, shutdown defense, and AWESOME. Thanks for teaching us and motivating us and coaching us to Nationals :)


An end of one chapter of sMITe and the beginning of another...